In 1953, Dr. Charles Fuller, a well-known Gospel radio preacher from the Old Fashion Revival Hour, was invited to Nashville to lead a revival at the Ryman Auditorium. With him on the platform was Jimmy Stroud, of Memphis, TN. Once homeless, Stroud had overcome his addiction and became the founder of the Memphis Rescue Mission.
Upon hearing Stroud’s story and noticing the numerous homeless men living on the streets of Nashville, Fuller was so moved he incorporated it into his sermon. As the revival came to a close, a large number of people in the audience spontaneously placed a freewill offering on the platform to be used for the establishment of a place that would care for the city’s homeless and hurting.
This gesture of love motivated over eleven hundred Nashvillians to sign statements urging the opening of an interdenominational rescue mission. In 1954 the Nashville Union Mission, today known as the Nashville Rescue Mission, opened its doors to the homeless and hurting in the community.
Since the beginning and still to this day, the Mission provides not only meals and beds, but support and long-term treatment for those struggling with homelessness, addictions and other life-debilitating problems.
In 1968, the Mission expanded in order to provide services to women and children who were also homeless and hurting. Today, there is now a Men’s Campus on the corner of 7th and Lafayette Street and a Women’s Campus on Rosa L. Parks Boulevard.
The Nashville Rescue Mission operates almost entirely from donated foods, materials and the generous contributions from individual donors! We are a 501c3 nonprofit, and being a faith-based organization, our ministries subsist without relying on any governmental funding.
Thank you for making it possible to feed, clothe and care for the least, last and lost of Middle Tennessee.